My Thoughts On The Anti-Gamer Articles Of Late

By  |  19 Comments

Since we did the Lady Bits feedback session on Sunday, here’s an extra video this week!

Please subscribe, and Patreon support is greatly appreciated! https://www.patreon.com/lianak

Other links:

Reblogged 4 months ago from www.youtube.com

19 Comments

1. Rob Smith

July 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Meh as far as I'm concerned, they can keep talking because sooner or later, they'll get hung up just like Milo did and just like Brian Williams from NBC. There's a saying where I come from: "Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves."

2. JDDJ

July 26, 2017 at 1:58 pm

10:10
    They got you! The trageted ads have corruptet liana! THEY ARE TURNING THE FUCKING FROGS GAY!

3. Brian Murphy

July 26, 2017 at 2:04 pm

That's not a troll, it's a Worgen.

Also, the corrupted blood wasn't a plotline, it was a Deathknight (Hero class introduced during the Return of the Lich King expansion) ability, that wasn't properly playtested. People (Trolls) were intentionally spreading it in the major cities, and you had no way of stopping it from killing you. They would land on top of buildings or other places you couldn't reach, and allow it to infect everyone that came their way.

Though, to be fair, I would've done the same if I had a Deathknight, cause that was pretty damn funny. But, that's not the first time (or the last) people would use game mechanics/bad testing against the game/community itself. During Vanilla, Hunter's would kite (it means to get a creature mad at you and run away faster than it can catch you, while still keeping it locked on you so it wouldn't reset and go back to it's original location) the mob into major cities. In this case, we're talking about world bosses which required a well geared 30-40 man group, or more to down. Kite that into one of the major cities filled with low levelers and such…and yeah, bloodbath.

Also, we used to stand in certain places in Booty Bay (The ships mast that overlooks the bay) and Gadgetzan (The archway over the auction house), and the archway in Silithus, that were outside the 'pathing' of the city guards, but allowed you to target opposing factions and kill them at will (normally, if you attacked an alliance or horde in these cities, the guards would mob you and destroy).

Yes, this behavior is shitty, and yes I partook (until they patched most/all of it out), but it's to be expected in a game of (at the time) 10-14 million people, that some of them will do shitty things. I'm no angel, sure, but, I never kited a world boss into a capitol city or spread Corrupted Blood heh.

4. millernumber1

July 26, 2017 at 2:10 pm

I really appreciate your voice – though I know you think Trump is a negative influence on politics (and I often would agree, even as a conservative who thinks his judge picks and anti-regulation actions are generally positive for my country), I appreciate that you are more interested in what liberals (and conservatives) can do to make the world better now, rather than try to go back in time to make things the way they "should" be with the election or GamerGate or any of the things that have torn our communities apart in the past years.

5. Paxtin

July 26, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I'm going to have to tell my uncle (Who's left leaning and plays WoW) that he's secretly a Trump supporter.

6. jamoecw

July 26, 2017 at 3:00 pm

the republicans were very against sex in video games in the early 2000's, then in 2005 clinton tried to get violent video games banned, about 5 years later anita did her tropes vs. women in video games and actually got mainstream presence, 5 years after that there was gamergate which again got mainstream presence. we have a few years but there will probably will be another round against gamers.

so maybe we can go play our games and ignore the crap thrown at us, or maybe some dipshit of a politician will pick up the cause and try to get some or all of them banned. we are under siege from both the left and the right, pretending like it isn't so will lead to bad things. another siege that is ongoing is against the internet, and no it isn't new.

7. dragonwatter

July 26, 2017 at 3:01 pm

your singing is awsome Liana K.

8. Dave-ish

July 26, 2017 at 3:04 pm

That minute you realize that Liana makes the same point you were going to make… lol

WoW has been a gold mine of data for a few academic endeavors. Remember that plague that stuck with you even after you left the dungeon? They tracked the spread and how players that traveled were acting as vectors, neat stuff. Not to mention the auction house shenanigans.

9. Dillon Reil

July 26, 2017 at 3:06 pm

You can catch those red flags, but then "you're paranoid."

10. Vienticus

July 26, 2017 at 3:19 pm

14:21 That imagry is going to stick with me for a while.

11. VargVikernes1488

July 26, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Liana is like an internet mommy for gamers, always there to protect from the meanies.

12. Vienticus

July 26, 2017 at 3:55 pm

9:50 I fooled around with a chick I met on Everquest.

13. Vienticus

July 26, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I remember that disease in WoW. I logged in one day and I was like, "WTF is with all the dead bodies in Orgrimmar?" "What's making this little splashing graphic on other characters?" "Wait, why am I having this happen to me now?" "Wait, why is my HP going down?" "WTF is this debuff?" "Shit, I'm dead now…"

14. Jake

July 26, 2017 at 4:37 pm

They're all just lizard people. It's the simplest answer.

15. Arc Dogma

July 26, 2017 at 4:53 pm

We just want them out of our games. Tell them to stop please. šŸ¤§

16. David Guffey

July 26, 2017 at 5:12 pm

At first I was mad at Bannon for gold farming. Shame on him. But on the other hand, I have to give him credit for being the first to recognize that gamers, a group mocked andĀ scorned by the mainstream media at the time, potentially had real political power. The more mainstream media flails around blaming everybody else for their problems, the more obvious it becomes that Trump is a monster of their own creating. He couldn't have won without them.

HIs characterization of Milo was surprising. I wouldn't describe Milo asĀ either nihilistic or amoral. Nihilistic people aren't as motivated to go out into the world and DO things as he is. Many people may not LIKE his moral system, but he definitely has strong principles. If he didn't, he wouldn't have publically defended Linda Sarsour's right to free speech, for example.

17. groundfloorguthrie

July 26, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Well done. In addition to the virology study of WOW, some economists (for example Bryan Caplan) have suggested that these games can be used to experiment with different economic systems, something which can't ethically be done IRL. In both cases, a game like WOW are a real-world expression of the 'Spontaneous Order' concept.

18. Hexi

July 26, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Gotta blame something instead of admitting your own shortcomings. Everything is always the fault of someone else and if all else fails, make up something like god that is to blame.

Small, insignificant little people with their small minds and fragile egos.

19. MarcinP2

July 26, 2017 at 6:08 pm

17:40 Wow, OK, you make it sound like there were talks behind the scenes. You make it sound like there could have possibly been collusion but you denounced the idea before.

BTW did you say "Zoe has asked for privacy"?